Tradebox Finance Manager is designed and tested to work on client PC’s with any of the following operating systems:
- Windows 10
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
It is not designed or tested to work on a server operating system and therefore the Tradebox program should only be installed on a client PC. If the Tradebox program is installed upon a server utilising software other than the above named operating systems, support may not be offered.
The Tradebox data can be shared across a local network so more than one user can have access to the program. You can either share the existing data directory from its default location on the PC you currently run Tradebox on and run a 'peer-to-peer' networked version. Or you can relocate the data to a shared location that's already set up, such as a file server in your office and run a 'client-server' setup.
In either scenario, should make sure your Tradebox Data Folder is shared for all users with read/write or full control permissions across the network. You can check your Data Folder location at any time from the Support page within Tradebox.
Once you've networked Tradebox, only one user can access Tradebox at any time. Opening the program on multiple PC's at the same time can cause issues including order duplication.
When running networked, it's important to make sure that all installations of Tradebox are running the same version number of the program. Before you try to network Tradebox, check your current version from the Support page at the top of Tradebox against our most recent version on our What's New page. If you're running an older version, you must update the existing install of Tradebox first, following these steps.
If you want to move your data to an existing network share
- From the PC Tradebox is installed upon, navigate across the network to the location you wish to move the data to and create a new folder called Tradebox Data.
- From the Maintenance menu in the Tradebox program select the Relocate Database option.
- This will generate a dialog box (below) which will tell you where the Current Location of the Tradebox data and provide an option to move the data to a New Location.
- To move the Tradebox data from the PC to the new Tradebox Data folder on the network click on the […] button at the end of the New Location field, navigate to the Tradebox Data folder and select OK.
- Upon completion Tradebox will close down automatically and need to be re-opened. Once open select Support from the Business menu and ensure that the Data is now located in the networked folder.
If you want to share the data peer-to-peer from the existing location
- Open Tradebox on the existing PC and go to Support in the top right of the program.
- Click the link to the Data Folder in the centre of the screen, this will open in File Explorer.
- Close Tradebox.
- Within the Data Folder, you need to browse up one level so you're looking at the data folder itself. This folder is normally called 'Tradebox' and by default sits inside of C:\programdata\Platform One but yours might be called something different or be located elsewhere.
- Right-click on the Data Folder and choose Properties. Go to the Sharing tab. These controls vary a bit from one version of Windows to another but there should always be a way to share a folder. If there's a Share button, click that. Windows wants to know who you want to share the data with. Type the word 'Everyone' into the box and click Add. It also wants to know what level of access to give; set this to Read/Write or Full Control. Click Share.
- Once the folder's shared, Windows should present you a network path to the data folder. It starts with two backslashes and then the name of the machine that you're sharing from; this is the UNC path to the data. You'll need this when it comes time to connect your additional PC, make a note of it (be very careful when noting this down, network paths are character-specific so make sure you've got any dots/slashes/underscores correct). Once you've noted the network path, you can close the folder properties. Make sure Tradebox remains closed on this PC while you're connecting the other.
- Going forward, the PC you've shared from will need to be powered on for any other computer to run Tradebox. Tradebox doesn't need to be open and a user doesn't need to be logged in to Windows, but the machine does need to be powered on and connected to the network.
Once one computer hosts data for another computer to use, it becomes 'de facto' a server for that process. Regardless whether you're doing this on a machine sold as a 'server' or as a 'PC', it's hosting shared data so we'll refer to it as the 'server' for the rest of this guide.
To forge a new network connection
Before Tradebox can access network data, Windows on the client PC (the new one you're connecting) needs to be able to access shared directories from the server. To test that connection:
- From the client PC that you want to give access to, pull up a Run dialog. You can do this by holding the Windows Key on your keyboard and tapping the R key.
- In the Run box, type or paste the UNC path to the data. Make sure to include a double backslash at the start of this path.
- Click OK. Windows on the client PC will try to see the shared directories on the server. If this is the first time this has been done, it's normal for Windows to request a network password. Normally, the Windows logon you use on the computer that's acting as server will work. Tick the box to remember these credentials. If you're in any doubt, check with your network administrator.
- If the connection is successful, you should be looking at the shared folder(s) from the server and you can proceed to the next step. If you get an error message, there's a problem with your network connection and you should refer to your local IT support.
To connect a new Tradebox install to shared Tradebox data
- You must already have Sage installed on the new PC and already connected to the Sage company that Tradebox posts into.
- Download and install Tradebox onto the new PC following these steps.
- When you first open Tradebox on the new PC, you'll be asked which accounts package you run. Choose 'Sage 50'. Tradebox will then open as a blank trial version.
- From the Maintenance menu in the blank trial Tradebox program select the Relocate Database option.
- This will generate a dialog box as seen below. Ignore the top half of this, which refers to the location of your current blank trial version.
- Under the Connect to Existing Database heading, click on the […] button at the end of the Existing Database field, navigate to your shared network data. You need to browse to the Tradebox database file, which is always called tradebox.mdb. Once you're done, click OK.
- Upon completion Tradebox will close down automatically and need to be re-opened. Once open select Support from the top right of Tradebox and check that the Data Folder now shows the new location.